As we kick off a new year and a new decade, we want to reflect on kindness. What does it mean to be truly kind? We generally think of kindness as simply being nice to others. However, true kindness is so much more than the “keep your hands to yourself” we were taught in preschool. Of course kindness includes that, but kindness also encompasses:
1. The Golden Rule. Treat others as you would have them treat you. Not only is this generally good karmic energy, but recent studies show that acts of kindness increase happiness and overall well-being in the person doing the kind acts.
This golden rule also applies to the environment. No one wants a house full of trash, exhaust, and toxic waste; neither does the Earth. Be kind to others, including our planet.
2. Self-Love. Be kind to yourself in your thoughts, emotions, and actions. Think of it as The Other Golden Rule:Treat yourself as your best friend would treat you. Be kind to your body by eating a balanced diet and exercising for a healthy heart. Don’t allow yourself to get stuck in negative patterns of thought that only serve to keep you down. Be your own cheerleader; be kind to yourself always, and good things will follow.
3. SKIN Love. Do not be harsh, abrasive, impatient, or inconsistent with your skin. Just as you treat others with kindness, treat your skin with kindness. This may sound silly, but your skin is your body’s first defender, so a strong skin barrier equals a healthier body all around.
- Use a gentle cleanser that does not strip the skin’s natural, protective oils. A great cleanser does not dry out your skin because dry skin leads to flaking, inflammation, and breakouts.
- Don’t just moisturize – nourish the skin with Vital Vitamins (A, B, C, & E) and anti-oxidants. Vitamin A normalizes sebum production, helps repair DNA damage, regulates cellular turnover, and reduces hyperpigmentation. Vitamin C helps produce natural collagen, strengthen capillaries, and reduce hyperpigmentation. Anti-oxidants fight harmful free radicals and reduce inflammation.
- Protect your skin with sunscreen, the ultimate display of affection towards your skin. Light from the sun and digital screens has long-lasting effects including DNA damage, hyperpigmentation, and pre-mature aging.
In this new decade, set an intention to act in kindness – to others, to yourself, and to your skin.